Sunday, February 27, 2011

Jose Garcia
Ms. Nicole
February 2,2011
My Life In College





By the sound of my name you might assume I must be Latino. Well, guess what? You are correct. My whole entire world is all Latino. My community which is Fruitvale Ave. is mostly made up by Latinos. My whole family is from Mexico City, Mexico. My school is 86% Latino. Every thing I see reminds me about my heritage. My mom always watches Spanish soap operas. At my school since there is more Latinos the language that is mostly heard is Spanish. Here in Fruitvale there are a lot of clinics that here many Latinos go to. I am all ways remind about where I come from. Which is good, it makes it harder for me to lose my heritage. At my school we have big events on Cesar Chavez day, Dia De Los Mertos, and Cinco de Mayo. Some of these events are Mexican holidays. Dia De Los Mertos is celebrated in other Hispanic countries. My mom and dad are the only once from their families that came to the U.S from Mexico. All of my other of my relatives I have never meet in my life. During the summer my parents were able to connect me and my grandmother through web cam. I was able to see her for the very first time. I felt joyful, being able to see my grandma’ after 15 years living in America. On the day of my birth-day I found out that I had a cousin name Bryan. I was able to talk to him on the phone, but I never meet him face to face. I have been planning on going to Mexico to visit my family, but sadly that trip is a long way from now.

Urban Promise Academy is the best school to send your kid if you want him to do well in High school. One of the things I admire about UPA is the expectations the teachers have for students. The teachers believe you can go to college, and get a better life. If a teacher notices you are having trouble on something, they will take the time and help you on what ever you need. They will not let you fail any class, they will do what they can, and then let you do it on your own. The teachers help you developed study skills that will give you the best grades. For example, if you do not do a part of your homework you must serve an hour of detention. This is not to punish you. This is so you’ll wake up and realize if you don’t want detention, do your homework. The UPA teachers don’t see you as children, but as young adults with talent, passion, and knowledge. One of the UPA staff member is who take education seriously is the one and only MS Bayardo. Ms Bayardo is the co- founder of UPA. She wanted to create a school where students can be in a safe environment, way from gangs and violence, and focus on their education. If your those types of kids who like to mess around, or goof off, then trust me you don’t want to mess with Bayardo. Bayardo has the perfect solution to turn a immature child in to a mature young adult. Bayardo will make you come at 7 a.m. to do boot camp. Yeap, that right physical activities that will leave you begging for mercy the minute you start. Bayardo only does this because she cares about you, and because that the way she rolls. UPA is a small school, which is perfect because there’s not many students. This helps students, and teachers able to have a strong relationship. UPA is not a school, it’s a family.

One of the biggest issues we have here in Oakland is gangs. Three Latino gangs has brought fear to Oakland. Because of all the violence that has been happening Oakland has been given the nickname “baby Iraq”. Oakland was also named the fourth most dangerous cities in America. That is huge news. The Nortenos, Surenos, and Border Brothers are the three gangs that brought fear to Oakland. The Nortenos have the color red, Surenos have the color blue, and the Border Brothers have the color black. If you wear any of these colors you are in more likely to get shot. Other gangs might confuse you as another gang member. This happens a lot in Oakland. You hear more police sirens then you do the ice cream man. These gangs members don’ t care who you are. Whether you are male, female, old, young they don’ t care. If your wearing the wrong colors they will shoot you. Luckily UPA has a strict dress code. You can not wear anything black, red, blue, or any thing gang related. Our uniform is white shirt, black shoes, kaki pants, and black backpack. UPA also offers after school programs for any student who want to go. These programs are to help keep students of the streets.

When I think of college I think of homework, long classes, football, parties, drunk students, and the key to the real world. College to me is more than just a place of studying, but a place to grow. While we grow up we have to face the fact we can’t rely on mom, and dad forever. We have to grow up and learn how to take care of ourselves. That what college is for. Learn to be Independent, make my own decisions, and go through the final step of being an adult. At first it will be hard , because you rely on mom to cook dinner, and dad to give you money. It will get easier as we all experience what it takes to earn a living. Life’s a roller coaster, it has its ups and downs, but I can get through it, and so can you.
Have I ever thought about going to college? Going to a big campus where it is very easy to get lost. Having to leave home, and provide for yourself without having to rely on mom and dad. Going to two- three hours of classes. Having to do hours worth of homework for four years. Well, actually I have. Hello, my name is Jose Garcia. I am an 8th grader who currently attend Urban Promise Academy, a small school in Oakland, CA.



No comments:

Post a Comment